Friday, October 7, 2022

Friendly Florals with a Friend!



I was so lucky recently to have my friend Bobby visit me - we are both Michigan gals, but she moved to Ohio two years ago and I hadn't seen her since!!  Lucky for me, my Doodlebugs order had just arrived in time for a fun crafty time with my friend!

I made this card while we were together:

A fun way to use patterned papers, right?
You can read more about it HERE if you'd like to =]

After Bobby went home, I decided to have another play with that die set - really there are so many options!  This time I reached for my HoneyBee Gingham Galore Holiday collection - but any patterned paper in Christmas colors would do!  I was inspired by the Winterberry that grows just outside my studio window whose berries are bright red right now!


If you look really closely, you'll see a technique that I've used over the years
to add just a touch of texture to an otherwise blank white canvas.
It's done with an old snowflake embossing folder and a HAMMER!!!
Be sure to take it easy and use a mouse pad under it!


I snipped the stems a bit to allow me to move the 'berries' closer to the leaves as that's how they grow.  BTW those berries were cut using an ages old set from MFT - be sure to look at your own supplies you'll be surprised how many floral sets have simple round dies inside!  Or how about a fantastic circle die set from Waffle Flower - I'll link it below. 

My secondary sentiment is one you'll be seeing a LOT of this month... Spellbinder's Glitter Wishes hotfoil plate and die set is loaded with little sentiments that work perfectly alone, or as a sub-sentiment for these larger die-cut words.

I just love the 'country' vibe that gingham brings to Christmas cards!  I popped my main oval on top of a wonky stitched rectangle.  Hope you like it, too!
=] Michele

Links to products used or recommended are listed below:  

15 comments:

  1. Ooooooh...I love both cards Michele, but especially the Christmas one! Must be that country charm with the red & green gingham papers, all layered perfectly! Lovely, lovely cards!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one too...and I did see that subtle embossing! I have yet to try that hammer technique, but maybe I'll give it a go. There are many times I want a wee bit of embossing in just one spot! Thanks for the hint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous cards,so fresh and eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beauties Michele! I love how you used the gingham on the floral die cuts on the 2nd card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Doodlebug order with the Glitter Wishes arrived yesterday, Michele. Once I finish some cards I'm working on I'll be getting out my hot foil machine. I love what you did with that same set we used. Very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I love the red and green gingham! Awesome with these berries and the sentiments match up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this is just adorable all dolled up in gingham! After seeing the two berries under the sentiment, I'm thinking you could create some Michigan cherries with that die!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to get together with crafty friends! Beautiful cards and I love your use of a HAMMER??! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my another beauty! You never cease to impress with your eye for detail and fun ways to achieve great texture! Thanks so much for sharing. Oh and Yay for getting together with friends. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many pretty things came together for these cards! Love the idea of red gingham at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are so pretty, Michele! The Gingham berry card is just so adorable! It does have a 'country' vibe. The softly embossed (with a hammer!) snowflakes are just enough to add interest to the white oval panel without competing with the gingham pattern. Thanks for your reminder of looking at our own supplies, like the small circle dies. I often forget what I have...Out of site, out of use...
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The gingham looks fabulous and I am happy to see your hammer has been in use again xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love it when the hammer comes out! Loving all the gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just fantastic cards Michele! The gingham paper and the sweet florals are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Michele! These are fabulous, and I am particularly smitten with your Winter Berry inspired card. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! You've certainly inspired me today, friend!

    ReplyDelete