Friday, July 1, 2022

Summer Flowers and no-line coloring

 

We're feeling those lazy, hazy, crazy hot days of Summer in Michigan - a good time to spend a bit of time in the AC water coloring some of Altenew's fabulous Paint-a-Flower sets... for some reason I just can't get my Hydrangeas to bloom, even though the plants themselves are gorgeous!  I'll take any advice you might have for success!

I've used the 'no-line' water coloring technique today that starts by stamping these gorgeous Hydrangeas in Distress Antique Linen ink onto a good quality watercolor paper like this one from Strathmore.


Take your time, keep the water to a minimum, and let each layer dry between -
that's my best advice for achieving good results using your favorite watercolor marker, or water color pan set - I've used my Zigs today starting in the shadows, and working my way out towards the highlights of each petal - using a good quality watercolor brush to move the ink.
This card took two days to complete!!


I found just the sentiment I wanted in the Altenew Paint-a-Flower Fashion Monger Dahlia set, and kept my card design very simple.  


I hope you are enjoying the first few weeks of your Summer so far - and that you have a bit of crafty time between picnics!  I'd love it if you'd tag us @doodlebugswa or @mfergu01 if you do a little no-line coloring!
=] Michele

Links to products used or recommended are listed below: 

Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers

10 comments:

  1. Can't help you on the hydrangeas....although the ones blooming around here have been stunning this year---just like the ones on your card! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello gorgeous! My attempts at no-line water coloring are pitiful, but you my friend have mastered it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, stunning! Oh I may know what my issue is, lack of patience. I admire your ability to watercolor as beautifully as you do! This is gorgeous. I wish I could help you with your hydrangea not blooming. Did you have a freeze that could have messed with the buds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the soft and airy petals of your hydrangeas, Michele! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What beautiful painting, Michele! How I love this card and have had to add it to my wishlist! My hydrangea isn't blooming this year either. But my daylilies are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hydrangea card coming soon but it's not no-line. Yours is gorgeous, Michele. My daughter is also having trouble with her bushes. More blooms than last year but still only a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hydrangeas too and your patient watercolouring has really paid off as you have captured their beauty and detail perfectly xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous hydrangea, Michele! Love your beautiful no-line watercoloring!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the prettiest cards you've ever made Michele and ALL your cards are BEAUTIFUL! Your water coloring on this one is just GORGEOUS...all that patience in waiting between drying times really paid off! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know anything about growing Hydrangeas but I do know that your no-line watercoloring on these blooms is amazing, Michele! Gorgeous color palette and truly gorgeous card, my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete