Monday, May 8, 2023

Watercolor ebmossed background with Spellbinders Flower Frenzy embossing folder

Last week I had my watercolors out, so I decided to create another card using them.  This time I added watercolor to an embossed background.  I love the way it turned out.

To create the background, I embossed some watercolor paper with the Flower Frenzy embossing folder from Spellbinders.  I then added quite a bit of water to the embossed area with my brush, and then touched color to the wet paper in different areas.  If the color didn't move enough, I added more water with my brush and gently pushed it in the direction I wanted.

After adding the color I set it aside to dry.

Spellbinders Flower Frenzy and Concord and 9th Friendly Florals
I assembled the flowers and bees using the Friendly Florals die set from Concord & 9th.  I did add just a small amount of color to the flower petals and centers with my Copic Markers.  Just to give them a little bit more of a painterly look.  I thought this would help them coordinate better with the painted background.

The sentiment is from the Versatile Greetings Hot Foil set and the coordinating die.  If you don't hot foil, the die set is a great option.  I love them both.

Spellbinders Flower Frenzy and Concord and 9th Friendly Florals

Once the paper was dry, I added some gold ink to the top of the embossed panel, touching just the raised areas.  It's easiest to do this with a large, flat, ink blending brush, but you can also use the pad directly to the paper.  Just be careful to lightly brush the top.  Heavy pressure will cause the ink to cover the entire paper.  You just want it to "kiss" the tops of the raised areas.

I also added the gold ink to the frame I cut.  I cut the frame from a soft golden yellow cardstock and then covered it with the gold ink.  I did use a heavy amount of ink for the frame as I wanted the gold to be the prominent color.

Spellbinders Flower Frenzy and Concord and 9th Friendly Florals
I tucked a tiny piece of foam tape under the petals to give them a slight lift.
 

Here's a close up of the gold ink on top of the raised embossed areas.  My photo skills don't show you how beautiful this technique really is.  It's much better in person.  I hope you'll give it a try.

Spellbinders Flower Frenzy and Concord and 9th Friendly Florals

I hope you enjoyed the project and that I inspired you to create something.

Have a great week.

Cathy


Links to products used or recommended are listed below:  

1 comment: