Monday, June 20, 2022

How to Get the Most Out of Layering Stencils


Hi, everyone!  Toni here with you today sharing a seasonal set of cards I made using the Lawn Fawn Spring Blossoms Layering Stencils as a backdrop.  


The first two cards are winter/holiday and spring/summer, respectively. Let's discuss the holiday one. But, before that let me lay out how I'm referring to the stencils.

When I used the stencils, I went ABC with the layers as shown below. I think you could use them in whatever order you want but this made sense to me. 


For the holiday card I used Lawn Fawn Spring Blossoms Layering Stencil A, sponging with a few different inks including Distress Oxide Barn Door, Rustic Wilderness and Peeled Paint, and Delicata Golden Glitz.  

The Waffle Flower Shader Brush 0 came in so handy as it allowed me to apply the colors to specific areas unlike my larger brushes which are rather all or nothing. LOL.


I really loved how the background turned out and didn't want to cover it up so opted to use a vellum tag (flipped upside down so the tab is mostly hidden by the Sunny Studio Spring Greenery diecut). 

This created a subtle focal area along with the Sunny Studio Little Birdie perched on top of the Mama Elephant Everything Nice sentiment.


For the spring/summer card I cut one of the Honey Bee Lovely Layers Wildflowers dies, using one side of the leftover card front as a border with a quick bit of hand trimming at the top and bottom.

I sponged the flower using similar colors as the background, namely Distress Oxide Worn Lipstick and  Mowed Lawn. I then nested it back into the border.  Pretty cool, huh?  Btw, I used all 3 stencil layers, A, B and C.

I used a reverse hot foiled Pinkfresh Studio Celebrating sentiment but could have just as easily embossed. I had the hot foil one on hand so that worked out nicely.  The Waffle Flower Solid Hot Foil Plate is perfect for reverse hot foiling or regular foiling in lieu of a laminator.
 

The final card for today is for autumn obviously. I love the folksy look of the Honey Bee Maple Leaf diecuts. I used a variety of inks for that background, including Distress Oxide Peacock Feathers on top of the orange. The opacity of the ink lends itself well to layering.

I used Lawn Fawn Oliver's Stitched ABCs for the sentiment. Those are a great investment as I've used them a lot.  All 3 stencil layers for this one too. I did make a card front with just Layers A and B but haven't made it into a card yet.  Some day!

I'll see you again soon.  If you'd like to check out my other creations in the meantime, you can visit my blog, Frankie Helps Craft, my Instagram, or my Pinterest Board.  Have a great rest of your day!

PRODUCTS USED AND/OR RECOMMENDED

No comments:

Post a Comment