Monday, November 22, 2021

Hello from Toni: Mixed Media Poinsettia


Hi hi!  I was going through my stash recently and rekindled my interest in acrylic gouache (essentially a thick acrylic which allows it to be more opaque). Because of the paint's opacity, it makes it perfect for coloring on dark colors.  Talk about drama!


I stamped the Waffle Flower Poinsettia (FYI this is on clearance!!!) onto black cardstock using Versamark. The resulting lines are faint but allow you to use the stamp as a guide for painting.

You can see a bit of my process below. I fill in the basic image using one color family at a time then later go in and add shading, highlights and details.  Those added touches really transform the look.


Notes:
  • I use white with the basic colors to create my shades. The non-whitened color is the shadow then I worked my way out from there with increasing white.
  • The paint is thick and will thicken further over time.  You can add a tiny bit of water but beware of adding too much as it will affect the opacity.
  • I like the texture so don't worry too much about viscosity. I can always go back and add another layer if necessary.

To finish the card, I masked the blooms and spattered Copic Opaque white then brushed a bit of Hero Arts Unicorn pigment ink on the corners.  I used my beloved Posca pen to fill in some spots. Once everything was fully dry, I embossed the Honey Bee Bitty Buzzwords: Holidays sentiment and added the Honey Bee Bitty Buzzwords: Holiday Dies.

I'll see you again soon.  If you'd like to check out my other creations in the meantime, you can visit my blog, Frankie Helps Craft, my Instagram, or my Pinterest Board.  

PRODUCTS USED AND/OR RECOMMENDED

No comments:

Post a Comment