Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A message from Doodlebugs...



As many of you did, I woke up to numerous social media hashtags and calls to action in response to the murder of George Floyd and the protesting occurring in our communities. As I thought about, and researched how I should show up for each of these, I saw people and business putting up posts, taking down posts, modifying and changing hashtags, and correcting people, not realizing the unintended consequences that accompanied many of these.

I've been searching for days, for words, for action, for books, for ways that I can better serve the black community. Heartbroken, and trying to process the horrible injustices that I personally, have done little to fix, other than offering my shock and disgust.

So, I decided to post a black square in solidarity, with the commitment to do more. I'm combing through numerous resources for organizations that I can support through donations, who are already on the ground, doing the work. I've ordered books and I'm listening to activists, hoping they will help me better understand, what I do not know and how, through my actions, I can best bring about change. I'm calling out racism when I see it and examining my own conscience. I vote, and I'll be doing more to support voting rights in this country.

Finally, I will be taking a brief break from social media, email, and the blog. I'm still here, shipping orders, answering emails, and taking care of business. I just won't be doing any marketing of Doodlebugs. It just doesn't feel right.

I hope you are all safe and healthy!
Much love,
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment