Thursday, May 29, 2014

Heat Embossing Inspiration

Here's  a fun technique to give a try.  Emboss a die cut image with an embossing folder and your Big Shot machine.  Then, ink the raised areas of the paper with a brayer and some VersaMark ink, and heat emboss with white or clear embossing powder.  Color with inks.  The embossed areas will resist the ink.

I've been playing around with this technique, and thought I'd share one of the cards I created.  I've included a few pictures of my process and the end of this post.


Here's a close up of the embossed, diagonal lines.  You could also emboss the heart with clear embossing powder.  I used Glossy Accents here.

The sentiment stamp is from the NEW MFT Stamp set "Watt's Up?"  It's designed to coordinate with the Light Bulb  Die-Namics die.  However, it has some great saying that work great with some of the other dies in my collection.

Here's a few images of the process I used to create the card above.  I cut the Cityscape from some Mixed Media paper using the Cityscape die from Memory Box.  I then embossed it with a diagonal embossing folder.  I inked up the brayer with VersaMark ink, and rolled it across the raised portions.

I covered the die cut images with white embossing powder (you could also use clear), dumping the excess powder back into the jar.  The powder will stick to the inked areas only. I then melted the powder that stuck to the raised areas with my heat tool.

I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink markers to add a watercolor effect to the cityscape.  To do this, I colored directly onto my non-stick craft mat with the marker.  Added some water to the color with my brush, then added the color to the cityscape.  The embossed areas will resist the color.

Give it a try.  I've been trying it with all sorts of different embossing folders.  It makes great backgrounds for simple cards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment