Sunday, November 30, 2014

Happy Heart Snowman from MFT Stamps- Masking Tutorial

Today we're sharing a masking tutorial.  We'll be masking off our entire stamped image to create a snowy background.  So, grab yourself some masking paper.  We're sure you'll want to try this technique.

Here's the finished card.

I masked off the edges of my stitched die cut rectangle with washi tape and secured it to my work surface.  This will create a clean edge when I color the background.  Then I stamped my image with Ranger's Archival Ink in Jet Black since I'm using a watercolor technique to color the image.


I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink pads and markers to watercolor the image.  I usually apply color to my nonstick craft surface, picking up the color with a wet brush and applying it to my image.


I stamped the image onto masking paper and cut out along the lines.

After cutting out the image, I removed the backing from the masking paper.  Stuck it to the front of my card, being careful to completely cover the colored image.  Any area not covered will be exposed when the color is applied to the background.


I used Distress Inks and the ink blending tool to cover the entire, exposed surface of the card.  I apply ink to the ink blending tool, and then apply it to the paper using small circular motions.

Here's what the background looks like after I colored it.  I added some splatter to achieve a "snowy effect".  I picked up some watered down, white paint with a paint brush and "flicked" it onto the surface.  I then repeated the same step with some Perfect Pearls Spray and a brush (I don't like using the sprayer).


Once it was dry, I carefully removed the masking paper.  (drum roll....)


I also removed the washi tape from the edges.  Washi tape has a tendency to tear the surface of your paper.  So, remove gently.  Don't you love the clean edge?


Here's a great tip to make your mats and card bases match your inks perfectly.  Use the ink blending tool and the same Distress Inks to color approximately 1/4" in from the edge.  Once assembled, you'll only see the inked edge and it will match perfectly


After I assembled the card, I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the heart.  It's hard to see in this image, but it gives it some dimension and makes it shiny. 

Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment