Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Garland Background and Ranger Embossing Powders

I've had several of Ranger's specialty embossing powders sitting on my craft desk for some time now.  I finally found the time to use each of them in a similar project so I could compare the color variation and properties of each of the powders.  If you haven't used these before, I hope you'll find this information helpful when choosing what powder will work best for your project.

Sometimes you just have to give yourself permission to "play" and see what happens.  I was lucky this time.  While each of the powders are different, they all worked with my design.

Here's the basic card.  I created a similar version using several different embossing powders and the Garland Background stamp from Hero Arts.  The powder used for the card below was Ranger's Silver Super Fine Detail embossing powder.  I'll show a close up of each of the powders and the bottom of the post.


For each card, I used Ranger's White Super Fine Detail embossing powder to emboss the the sentiment onto vellum.  I cut the edge using the Dotted Border die from Avery Elle.  Below is a second version of the same card.  For this card I embossed the Garland background using Ranger's Silver Pearl embossing powder.


Here's a closer look at the four different powders I used.  All four powders are from Ranger Ink.

This is the Silver Pearl embossing powder.  Once embossed the image is slightly transparent so it picks up some of the color from the cardstock.  As the name states, it has a subtle pearl/silver finish.  Of all the powders, this was the most subtle.


This is the Holographic embossing powder.  Once embossed, it is completely transparent except for the holographic glitter.  It leaves a watermark effect on the paper, with the glitter on the surface.  It's very festive.


This is the Super Fine Detail Silver embossing powder.  It is very opaque, and once embossed leaves a shiny silver finish. 


I hear so much about the Liquid Platinum embossing powder.  Everyone seems to love it, and now I know why.  It too, is opaque once embossed and leaves a warm, metallic, shiny finish.  I would describe it as a color somewhere between a silver and antique gold.  It's lovely!!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to test, photograph, and comment on each of these embossing powders - that was so helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete