Saturday, April 5, 2014

Stencil and Embossing Card Tutorial

I thought I'd post a tutorial for the Stencil Inspiration card that was posted on the blog earlier this week.  It's a fun technique.  Give it a try.

Here's the card in case you missed it.

I started with a piece of Mixed Media paper from Strathmore.  I used masking paper to secure the stencil down so it wouldn't move.  Then, pressed my VersaMark ink pad onto the stencil applying ink to the paper through the holes (I used the Dot Fade stencil from Tim Holtz).

I covered the inked area with white embossing powder, tapped off the excess, and used my heat tool to melt the powder that stuck to the VersaMark ink.  Here's a close up look after the powder has been melted.

Next I used Distress Markers to color over the embossed area.  I used Festive Berries, Broken China, Mowed Lawn, and Ripe Persimmon.  The embossed areas will resist the color.

I activated and blended the colors out with my water brush.  The more water, the more the colors will run and puddle.  You could also do this with a paint brush and a jar of water.  I then used some repositionable adhesive to hold it flat to a piece of chipboard until it was dry.  You don't want to dry this with your heat tool, as it may affect the embossed areas.

I decided to trim this after is was dry.  I was originally going to make this a single layer, but decided to trim it, and mount it to the front of my card.

Here's the completed card.  I heat embossed a sentiment onto some vellum, secured it, and added some twine before mounting it to the front of my card.

Additional Supplies Used:
Twine from Doodlebug Designs
Sentiment is from Simply Fabulous Sayings set from MFT Stamps

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Cathy! I was curious as to how you made this card. Love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Have fun giving it a try.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete