Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hand-made Gift Ideas

This week we'll be featuring hand-made gift ideas on our blog.  So check back during the week, or follow us on Facebook, for new ideas throughout the week.

DECORATIVE CANDLES
I love this project.  It was fun, easy, and inexpensive! 

Here's how I created the candles below.  I stamped the image on white tissue paper.  I used my Copic Markers to color the images.  You'll need to put some regular text weight paper under the image while you color.  This will absorb the additional ink and keep the ink from bleeding outside the lines.  Trim the image, removing the excess tissue.  I used my adhesive runner to place a small amount of adhesive in two places to hold the tissue in place on the candle.  I didn't use the wax paper method.  I felt I had better control heating the wax, without the wax paper.  It was easier to see when the wax was melted and helped to avoid over heating the candle.  Use your heat tool, and "gently" melt the wax behind the image until it melts through the tissue.  Be careful not to over heat the wax.  It will drip and "sag".   Once the entire image is transferred, embellish with rhinestones, pearls, and Stickles.  I used Stickles to add some glitter to my candles.

I would recommend using these only for decorative purposes due to the tissue.





CUSTOM CHARMS
This is another quick, easy and super inexpensive project.

We created these custom charms using the Tim Holtz Cash Keys.  Each package includes 10 charms and 10 matching epoxy domes, or  tops for placing over your image.  Here's how to create the charms.  Add the epoxy sticker over the image you want on your charm.  You can use patterned paper, a photo, or your own art.  Then use your scissors to cut around the epoxy dome.  Place a strong liquid glue, (glossy accents or multi-medium will work) inside the charm where the image will sit.  Place the image on top and allow to dry.  It's that easy.



Have fun making your hand-made Holiday gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment