Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ghosting Technique with Stencils and Distress Ink

Here's some stencil inspiration for those of you participating in our Creative Community Stencil Challenge this month.  Want to participate?  You can find the group HERE.

I used the "ghosting" technique I use with the Dylusions Sprays to get this effect.  Only, this time, I used the Tim Holtz Distress Inks.

I applied the inks to my Mixed Media cardstock from Strathmore.  I used the Distress Ink pens, but you could use the ink pads with the blending tools also.  Both products work.  I then used my water brush to get the inks wet and moving on the paper.  I use quite a bit of water.  I like the puddles and blending  that occur with a heavier application of water (the purple is a result of the blue and red blending together).

Allow the paper to dry.  You can speed this process up using your heat tool.

Once the paper is dry, mist your stencil with water.  Place it onto your inked paper, water side down.  You want the wet portion of the stencil to touch the ink.  Let the stencil set for a few seconds before removing it.  Then, let the water sit for a few seconds on top of your paper.  Place a dry paper towel over the top of your paper to pick up the excess water (and the ink).  Don't rub.  Just place the towel down, and pick it up. The results should be the fun ghosting (or faux bleaching) technique shown below.

I finished the card with some enamel dots and some clear, Wink of Stella pen applied to the edges of the blue cardstock.

Additional Supplies Used:
Simply Fabulous Sayings from MFT Stamps
Enamel dots
Stencil from Crafters Workshop
Distress Inks - Broken China and Festive Berries
Wink of Stella brush pen (clear)

No comments:

Post a Comment